Thursday, August 09, 2007

My New Toy


The pattern for the Lotus Socks is the Gentleman's Half Hose from Knitting Vintage Socks. When I initially flipped through the pages of this book and saw this pattern I thought "What an ugly pair of socks." I am now eating my words. While I think this is an entirely BORING pattern in a solid color (especially that green... just doesn't do a thing for me.) it works extremely well for a busy variegated yarn.

First, I tried a couple patterns from Sensational Knitted Socks. The Elongated Rib and the Baby Cables. Neither worked. Rip, Rip. Then I tried this one. It DID work, but... the gauge was off and I needed to go down in needle size. So then I ripped the entire thing, including the cuff and began again. At this point had I KNOWN what I was doing when I started I'd have been past the heel already. But no, start over. Since starting over it's gone very smoothly. I've made minor modifications to alter it to my own preferences, for instance, a sock - not hose. And I modified the toe, but now that I've completed it I'm thinking it probably would have been better as the pattern was written. Oh well. I am not ripping anymore!

I am SOOOO excited to have my new scale to play with! Since I do have these big old clonkers for feet running out of yarn is a worry. There are 360 yards in this particular ball. Just by feel I'd say I THINK I'll be ok. But no longer do I have to think. I KNOW!




Sock #1, 48.4 grams.




Remaining yarn 73.1 grams.

Hooray! PLENTY of yarn!

You didn't think I'd really show you a picture of the sock did you? Just a wee peek is all you get today. Not to worry. Hub thinks it's the best sock yet.

Summer of Socks Totals
Pairs of Socks Complete: 2
Single Socks Needing a Mate: 1
Socks on the Needles: 2

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I am so going to be using my scale in the future to reassure myself in the same way -- well, I hope I'll be reassuring myself and not smacking myself in the forehead!

Meghann said...

Jess, they are absolutely LOVELY! Send me a picture when your done, k? I'm looking for customer photos!

Miss T said...

Tease.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Nice yarn.

Very nice scale. Where did you buy it?

Anonymous said...

I'm looooving that yarn, and the pattern looks great. I'm looking forward to my copy of that book. :)