Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Plain Jane



There is a lot to be said for a plain sock. In truth they are the ones I pull out of the drawer and onto my feet first. They are comfy and reliable. Meghann has written up a new pattern and asked me to test it. The pattern is Plain Jane Socks. I think it's great. I have yet to see one out there that has this much information. It's got a huge variety of sizes, and information on different heel types and cuffs. It's great for a beginner, or... even a lazy experienced sock knitter like myself. See, I rarely look at a pattern for a plain sock anymore. But I reinvent the heel turn every time because I can't remember the number of stitches to knit over and purl back etc... It is written for 8 stitches to the inch, but if you know your foot and your gauge you can easily use the instructions for different stitch counts to make your size in a different gauge. She's still in the process of getting it ready for release right now. But when it comes out snatch it up! It's a good one!

I also used her yarn for this sock in the spirit of promoting all good things from her. :) It is the same yarn base as I used for my Lotus Socks last year which were a favorite on my feet last winter. I really love the colors and the way it knit up. I can see these being next winters favorite!


Pattern: Plain Jane Socks by Meghann Holcomb
Yarn: Illusion Yarns Premium Superwash Merino, Royal Plum
Needle: US 1.5, 2.5mm

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Love them! That is definitely a variegated yarn that behaves!

Hattie said...

I love the color in those socks! A gorgeous purple, and no pooling!

Anonymous said...

Those are very pretty!

Jill L said...

These are anything but plain -- lovelY!

A Bunch of Knits said...

gorgeous! Love the color! Purple is just the prettiest color isn't it! Nice work!