Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Celebrating a Friend


One of the best things about the knitting community is we know how to get together and make things happen when one of our own is in need. Right now a Knitter, Indie Dyer, and friend is dying of a very aggressive form of cancer. It hits close to home as she has two children the same ages as my own. They are so very young and about to lose their mother. There are many of us feeling helpless right now. We've decided to turn that around and use our time and energy to help in what ways we can. Tiny Lady Cooperative is hosting a fund raising effort for the family. When we asked Colleen what she would like the funds to go towards, she always the mother, said her children. All proceeds from this event will go into college funds for her children. We're going to give her a little bit of peace about her childrens futures before she goes.

For my part I volunteered to knit a matching set, sweater and longies. The time line here is a little crazy. I think my emotions might have volunteered me to do that. BUT, I am determined. That is part of why I've been scarce. I have to get this D-O-N-E! Carina from Sweet Mama Small Sugar donated her pattern to my effort. Since then I've been knitting, knitting, knitting. It's going well, but it seems so slooooow. Deadlines are always like that. Here is the current state of the sweater. A little lumpy and sleeveless, but looking good none the less.



When I haven't been working on that I've been dragging this sock around. The color scheme here is really kind of funny. Not purposeful. I needed more neutral colors in my sock wardrobe.



I'm going back to the knitting now... I'll emerge in about 10 days. Be sure to stop by TLC for the event on October 28th! Don't worry... I'll be back to remind you!

3 comments:

Ami said...

I don't really know where to volunteer it, but I figure you'll know. I would *love* to donate some handspun to this fundraiser. Thanks- Ami

Sarah said...

This is a wonderful thing you are doing. I'm sure it means a lot to your friend to know that you and the group will be keeping an eye on her children and doing what you can to help them.

Meghann said...

The sweater looks awesome:) I'm donating some sock knitting kits, which reminds me I need to get them together!