Monday, February 22, 2010

Sweet Samuel




There seem to be phases of life that are just heavy. They are full of problems, belonging both to you and the ones you love. Obviously for us the past 15 months have been extremely heavy. And it has opened the door for others to walk into our lives who are also carrying heavy loads tagged 'childhood cancer'. But this particular burden came from both inside and outside of our cancer world. You see, one of the nurses in the pediatric oncology department also goes to our church. Before Miss E was diagnosed we only knew each other by name. Our husbands were quite familiar and friendly with one another, but somehow our paths had yet to intersect. Well, as you can imagine, living in the hospital, in her department, parked us at an intersection. She always did a really fantastic job at being professional. She avoided having direct care of us in order to maintain a good amount of professionalism. But she always found time on her break... or lunch... or at the end of her day to check on us. A slow sweet friendship was sprouting. Seven months ago we got out of the "living in the hospital" part of treatment and we have been able to form a much more normal friendship... time one on one and also time with our families together.

I have always felt like she was a blessing to us. A special gift that God placed right in the hospital just for us! Little did I know he brought us together for our mutual benefit at hard places in both of our lives.

Four weeks ago my friend, radiant and beautiful, 28 weeks pregnant with her second son... went from excitement and trepidation over having two rowdy boys in the house, to fear that her son would not live another day. Because of multiple serious health issues with the baby, the doctors decided it would be best for this sweet boy to be born at 28 weeks gestation. Most people know that is far too early for a baby to be born. Normal gestation is 40 weeks give or take a couple of weeks. But they knew if they did not get him out, he wouldn't have a chance. So out he came. His chance at life was slim. He fought hard and he made it past those first few fragile days. Life became upside down for his family. They had a baby... but he wasn't at home. Since it was a second boy they hadn't really bought anything new... he would get big brothers hand me downs. With Samuel remaining in the NICU, at home it was almost as if he didn't exist. It was a very strange reality.

As I fervently prayed for this family, I also spent a week frantically knitting. Samuel needed something that was his. Something made special just for him. The Bible says that children are a blessing. Samuel is a blessing. No matter what the circumstances are, he is beautiful, he is important, his life has meaning, and he is a blessing. I made him a "Sammy size blankie". A small, pretty, log cabin blanket. It was made with so much love. And as I knit it, it was a reminder to be continually in prayer for him. I was a little nervous in giving it... you never know how people are feeling in these situations. But I need not fear, it was perfect. It touched his mothers heart in just the right way.

Yesterday, at precisely four weeks old, Sammy went home to the arms of his Heavenly Father. He only got to bless our lives for four short weeks. He will be greatly missed.

If only there was a way that my hands could knit away the pain in his parents hearts now...

8 comments:

Selah said...

I have so much sorrow in my heart for their deep loss. I will be praying for them. I'm sorry Jess... they are lucky to have you and your prayers a part of their life.

Stephanie Hancock said...

Jess, you are a beautiful friend for having knit that blanket. I pray for their comfort in the midst of grief over losing their sweet baby boy.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Jess. What a blessing you are for the family.

Unknown said...

Tami Warrington and Family,

Knowing of their lose and sharing there pain doesn't seem to be enough in such a sad time for this famiy.Understandings God's way and know Samuel is with his lord gives some comfort , but not enough. I will pray for the heeling of this family and Samuels's new life in heaven.
God bless you all....

Anonymous said...

What a blessing you are Jess! I know that the blanket probably meant the world to them and is just what they needed. What a beautiful picture of what the church is supposed to be to each other.
-Jayme Pesnell

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry for your friend. I have no doubt that this small thing you did will bring a lot of comfort to her and her family.

Anonymous said...

Wow, so heart wrenching and how wonderful for this family to have someone like you in their lives. I cannot even begin to fathom this kind of pain, in both loosing a newborn baby or going through what Ellie has gone through. May God wrap his arms tightly around Samuel's family and yours.

gramma2many said...

I came to your blog looking for "free" longies pattern.
Instead, I leave with tears in my eyes. I pray for the family that they are able to face this loss with God's grace and comfort. I pray also for you and your journey. The world is so full of children who are fighting the valiant fight. It is so hard to understand suffering for children, all we can do is trust in He who is in total control.
What a beautiful blanket too. I am sure the family will cherish it forever.